The modern gaming industry is one of the most prosperous industries in the world today. As opposed to its non-virtual counterpart which has been around for many centuries now, virtual gaming was invented by a person known as Ralph H. Baer in 1966 and has since catered for a new niche of people who enjoy spending their money on buying games and platforms with which they can play them with, such as PCs, developers consoles and a lot more. The popularity of this activity has seen many new companies emerge to produce software that cater for all kinds of gamers out there. Although some genres require specialized hardware such as flight simulators or racing games, most PC games are played using basic input devices such as keyboard/mouse combo controllers or custom made gamepad controllers. However, for a more immersive experience, most PC gamers today prefer using gaming headsets.
Beside picking up a good keyboard from the list of best low profile keyboards, or amazing mouse pad from best gaming mousepad, today we are going to talk about the best gaming headsets that you can use on your computer or any platform with which you want to play games (yes you can even use them on your Nintendo Switch). We have also added some information below about how to select the best headset for yourself and what things you should consider when purchasing one.
This list is the collection of best gaming headsets 2021 for PS, Xbox and Nintendo Switch. Note that these are not in any particular order but rather a list of best Gaming Headsets to help you choose your next purchase!
1. Razer BlackShark V2 Gaming Headset
The Razer BlackShark V2 Gaming Headset provides industry-leading audio realism for in-game immersion by providing accurate spatial, 7.1 surround sound directional cues beyond standard stereo or virtual channels. With its Comfort-Prioritized, lightweight design with memory foam ear cushions and a detachable 9.9mm mic that can be cut off ambient noise from the back and sides; this headset gives you a competitive edge over other players who cannot hear your voice commands as clearly due to background noises. You’ll hear every shot fired by enemy players, as well as your own footsteps walking on dry leaves – all through a comfortable-priority design with memory foam ear cushions.
- THX 7.1 SPATIAL SURROUND SOUND – The Razer BlackShark V2 Gaming Headset is designed to give you a competitive edge with the latest in audio technology. It features THX Spatial Surround Sound that immerses you in your game by delivering rich, deep bass and crisp highs across seven channels of positional audio.
- 50MM DRIVERS – To ensure maximum performance, Razer has equipped the BlackShark V2 with large 50mm neodymium drivers that deliver superior sound quality for your games, movies and music.
- DETACHABLE MIC – The detachable microphone allows you to choose between using it or not when playing online games or making calls on your mobile phone. You can also adjust its position to best suit your needs as well as mute it when not required.
2. Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 Gaming Headset (Wireless)
Turtle Beach’s Stealth 600 wireless gaming headset is the first in its class to offer a flip-to-mute mic (great for refined chat clearly that integrates into the headset when you are on mute), rechargeable battery and up to 15 hours of playtime.
The 3D Audio Advantage makes it easy to identify where sounds are coming from. Plus, you can customize audio presets for different games.
And with Superhuman Hearing technology, you’ll hear enemies sneaking around or special ability cues that could make a difference between winning and losing.
Get the edge on your competition with the Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 wireless gaming headset for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.
- GEN-2 FLIP-TO-MUTE MIC – Easily flip the mic up to mute your audio, or flip it back down for unaltered chat clarity.
- GLASSES FRIENDLY – The uniquely re-shaped ear cushions are designed to fit comfortably over glasses.
- SUPERHUMAN HEARING – Experience game sounds in a whole new way with Superhuman Hearing. Hear enemies approaching from behind with Turtle Beach’s exclusive Supersensex technology, and hear important sound cues that others would normally miss.
- 15 HOUR BATTERY LIFE – With a 15 hour battery life, you can play all day without interruption! Play on and on with no need to recharge as often as other wireless headsets.
3. HyperX Cloud Stinger Core – Wireless Gaming Headset
The HyperX Cloud Stinger Core is a lightweight, closed-back gaming headset that delivers immersive audio and crystal-clear communication. It features an ultra-comfortable design with plush ear cushions, a padded headband and leatherette-padded cups for extended play sessions. Its noise-isolating design blocks out distractions to help you focus on your game. The Cloud Stinger Core’s 40mm drivers produce high quality sound so you can hear every detail as the action unfolds. A flexible, noise cancelling mic ensures clear communication with your teammates in online games.
- GAMING-GRADE WIRELESS – The Cloud Stinger Core is a gaming headset that delivers immersive audio and crystal clear communication. It features an ultra-comfortable design with plush ear cushions, a padded headband and leatherette-padded cups for extended play sessions. Its noise-isolating design blocks out distractions so you can focus on your game.
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN – The Cloud Stinger Core’s 40mm drivers produce high quality sound so you can hear every detail as the action unfolds. A flexible, noise cancelling mic ensures clear communication with your teammates in online games.
- IMMERSIVE IN-GAME AUDIO – Hear everything in crystal clear detail thanks to 40mm drivers that deliver high quality sound so you can enjoy your games like never before. A flexible noise cancelling mic ensures clear communication with teammates online, while an included audio cable lets you connect directly to your PS4 controller or mobile device for gaming on the go.
- DURABLE STEEL SLIDERS – The Cloud Stinger Core’s durable steel sliders are built to last, ensuring long lasting comfort for hours of gameplay. They also feature a sleek black finish that looks great with any setup!
4. BENGOO G9000 Stereo Gaming Headset
The BENGOO G9000 Stereo Gaming Headset is designed to be compatible with a wide range of devices, including the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Nintendo 3DS, Laptop, PSP, Tablet and iPad. The headset features 40mm magnetic neodymium drivers that provide clear sound and strong bass. The on-mic noise-cancelling feature reduces ambient noise so you can hear your teammates clearly during online gaming. The comfortable protein over-ear pads are designed for long hours of gameplay.
- Clear sound operating strong brass, splendid ambient noise isolation and high precision 40mm magnetic neodymium driver, acoustic positioning precision enhance the sensitivity of the speaker unit.
- Headset integrated onmi-directional microphone can transmits high quality communication with its premium noise-concellng feature, can pick up sounds with great sensitivity and remove the noise.
- Superior comfortable and good air permeability protein over-ear pads, muti-points headbeam.
- Effortlessly Volume Control: The cables are made of high-density material that can withstand the wear and tear from being pulled, twisted, or knotted. The rotary volume controller was engineered to provide an easy way to control the sound on your device as well as mute it with a simple press of one button for privacy needs. The High Tensile Strength Braided USB Cable is perfect if you need something long lasting but want ease in controlling when people hear what’s happening around them during conversations through their mic!
5. SteelSeries Arctis 3 Console – Stereo Wired Gaming Headset
The best PS5 compatibility requires you to change your settings on the Sony PlayStation 5– disabling Sony 3D Audio and then increasing the default volume to 100%. This is made possible with the clear cast mic, which delivers studio-quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation. With S1 speaker drivers engineered to produce a detailed, balanced soundscape with ultra-low distortion for games, music and movies, get complete immersion into any virtual or real experience; it doesn’t stop there. The exclusive Skin goggle suspension headband comfortably contours along your entire head after significant research in an effort not only provide increased comfortability but distribute weight evenly without leaving pressure points — enabling optimal level of performance.
- SKIN GOGGLE SUSPENSION HEADBAND – The Arctis 3 is designed to fit your entire head. Our unique suspension design evenly distributes pressure across the entire headband, so you can play for hours without any discomfort.
- ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT – Weighing in at just over 7 ounces, the Arctis 3 is one of the lightest gaming headsets on the market today. It’s also incredibly compact and foldable, making it easy to carry around with you wherever you go.
- CLEAR CAST MICROPHONE – The Arctis 3 features a high-quality ClearCast microphone that delivers studio quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation. When used with DTS Headphone:X technology, it provides an unmatched level of audio realism for all your games, movies and music.
6. Orzly Gaming Headset for PC and Gaming Consoles
The Orzly gaming headset is the perfect choice for those who want to enjoy their games with high-quality sound and crystal clear communication. The lightweight design makes it comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, and the microphone can be adjusted up or down to suit your preference.
Compatible with PC, PlayStation 5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch/Switch Lite and Stadia as well as laptop, tablet and mobile devices via 3.5mm cables.
- BUILT FOR COMFORT – The RXH-20 is designed with soft padded earmuffs and a cushioned headband for long hours of gaming. Also features an adjustable headband for customised sizing.
- INCREDIBLE STEREO AUDIO – From the epic war drums of boss battles, subtle foot steps in the rain, or explosions off in the distance, the RXH-20 picks up every detail so you never miss a beat!
- QUICK ACCESS CONTROLS – Features a switch for the LED lights so there’s no need to unplug before winding down for the evening. Quick access controls for a swift microphone mute or increasing the volume for stealth missions.
- NOISE CANCELLING MICROPHONE – Works with your PC to eliminate background noise and echo when communicating with other gamers online.
7. ZIUMIER Z30 White Gaming Headset
ZIUMIER Z30 White Gaming Headset is a gaming headset with high quality sound, perfect for gamers to enjoy the game. It has a rotating adjustable and 360° pickup voice, excellent noise reduction effect, enjoy truly smooth in-game communication with your teammates. The stainless steel spring plate in the headband can achieve excellent durability and flexibility, strong enough to last a long session. The softly padded retractable headband can perfectly fit your head, comfortable foam can be adjusted to fit different sizes; suits all gamers at any age.
- NOISE CANCELLING MICROPHONE – The noise cancelling microphone is designed to filter out background noise, ensuring that your teammates can hear you clearly.
- STRONG AND DURABLE HEADSET – Ziumier gaming headset is fitted with large-diameter breathable protein ear cushions which fit completely around the ears, but no direct pressure. The softly padded retractable headband can perfectly fit your head, comfortable foam can be adjusted to fit different sizes, suits all gamers at any age. Stainless steel spring plate in the headband to achieve excellent durability and flexibility, strong and durable enough to last a long session.
- COMFORTABLE PROTEIN EARMUFFS – ZIUMIER gaming headset is fitted with large-diameter breathable protein ear cushions which fit completely around the ears, but no direct pressure on soft tissues.
- PLUG AND PLAY – No driver needed, plug and play; the USB plug for lights, more fully ensure the stability of the sound.
- MIC MUTE BUTTON & VOLUME CONTROL – Anti-winding braided cable with rotary volume controller & mute button for the microphone. Easily switch off the microphone and scroll the volume dial to control the gaming volume.
8. XIBERIA Wireless Headset with Microphone, Lossless 2.4GHz Ultra-Low Latency, Noise Cancelling
The Xiberia G01 wireless gaming headset delivers professional grade sound quality with a high performance microphone for crystal clear vocal team communications. The 2.4 GHz lossless digital transmission provides ultra-low latency and interference free audio to your PS4, PS5, PC or Mac. With the included cable you can also connect to any device that supports a 3.5mm connection such as your smartphone, tablet or Nintendo Switch™.
The G01 features an unidirectional noise cancelling microphone which reduces background noise so you are heard clearly by friends online without raising your voice.
This headset G01 comes with a 2m long detachable USB cable, an adapter for use on Nintendo Switch™ and an extension boom mic allowing you to position the microphone wherever is most comfortable for you.
- USB connection – Converts 3.5mm devices into wireless connection
- Supports Bluetooth connectivity Compatible with all gaming platforms including PS4/PS4 Pro/Xbox One
- 2.4GHz digital transmission of audio from device to headset
- Ultra-low latency lossless transmission Audio controls on earcup Wireless range of 12 metres
- Unidirectional noise cancelling microphone Detachable boom mic Supplied in presentation box; Category : Sound
- Brand : Xiberia Colour : Black/Black
9. Razer Kraken Gaming Headset, The Tournament Edition
The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition THX 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset is designed to give you an immersive, competitive edge by delivering every gunshot, step and explosion with lifelike precision. With its tournament-grade durability and a lightweight frame, the headset remains comfortable for hours of gaming while delivering thundering bass and crystal-clear audio. The ear cups are angled for optimal comfort during long gaming sessions, while the soft leatherette cushions ensure maximum comfort even during extended play. The included unidirectional microphone ensures that your teammates and opponents will always be able to clearly hear you, while the in-line remote allows for easy volume control.
- Razer Kraken Tournament Edition THX 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset is designed to give gamers an immersive competitive advantage by delivering every gunshot, step and explosion with lifelike precision.
- It has a lightweight frame with adjustable headband for optimal comfort during long gaming sessions. The ear cups are angled for maximum comfort, and the soft leatherette cushions ensure extended play is as comfortable as possible.
- The headset features a unidirectional microphone which makes it easy to hear your teammates and allows your opponents to hear you.
- The in-line remote allows for easy volume control and mic mute functionality. Razer Synapse feature allows gamers to play at their settings anywhere without installing software, saving profiles on the cloud and syncing them across multiple devices.
10. SADES Gaming Headset for Xbox One,PS4, PS5 PC Headphones
The Sades gaming headsets are designed to give gamers a superior acoustic and comfortable environment. The 50mm driver units with rare earth magnets provide precise, powerful bass sound effects with dynamic clear treble sounds that will immerse you into the game world for an amazing experience. Including noise cancellation microphone which is detachable so it can also be used as a wired headset in any situation you like. The over molded earmuffs feature soft leather material surrounding your ears as well as the part touching the head, offering extreme comfort for hours on end.
- 50mm dynamic driver units with rare earth magnets give gamers a superior acoustic experience
- Sades microphone is anti-wind and noise cancellation technology: Sades microphone can be adjust according to the shape of your mouth. The flexible Sades microphone can effectively reduce noises as well as wind when you are playing games outside. This will help in communicating with others more clearly and make it happen easily without the need to shout through a mic.
- Ear cup design including soft leather earpads provide extreme comfort for long term wearing (more than 12 hours per day)
How to choose the best wireless gaming headset for you
The number of wireless gaming headsets available is intimidating to say the least. While headsets can vary in features when compared to one another, there are some that hold a distinct advantage over others whether it be their price or overall quality. To make your selection process easier here are a couple tips for you to consider:
- Determine how much you want to spend
- Consider what you plan on using the headset for. Is it strictly for gaming or will your usage include other uses such as general use, travel and more?
- Think about how comfortable you’d like the head set to be. Do you mind wearing large ear cups or do you prefer something smaller? If you tend to wear glasses will this present a problem?
- Consider the brand of headset you plan on purchasing. Is it well known or is it an unknown company? Do your research to know what other people think of it.
Frequently questioned answers
Is it worth using 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound?
If you are a gamer, then the answer is most probably, yes.
Surround sound is quite useless for listening to music or watching movies but if you have a gaming headset with surround sound in it, then that means your games will get more realistic and immersive.
What exactly does 7.1 surround sound do? Its name says what it does – it gives an impression of using 7 speakers. However, you don’t need to hook your gaming headset up to so many speakers to get the benefits from surround sound.
Nowadays all those “virtual” speakers are actually being generated by a device called HRTF or Head Related Transfer Function which uses some complex mathematical algorithms and special software that feeds your headset with the spatial information about a game.
In other words, this software uses your headphones to create an illusion of a multi-speaker setup and that is how you get all those virtual speakers around you.
So what do these additional speakers bring to the table? First, they allow you to hear things from different directions and angles. Their presence will greatly help you to figure out where exactly all those enemies are.
That is why surround sound is so popular among first person shooter and role playing games fans. The main reason for that popularity is the fact that with an additional pair of virtual speakers, you can easily tell whether a bullet or an arrow came from behind – which means you can react faster.
That is what a lot of professional gamers are using when they play their tournaments – they try to stay a step ahead and be one step ahead of everybody else.
If you are not an online gamer, surround sound will benefit you in your single player games as well. In case you have some virtual environment with lots of noise and sounds, you can easily tell where exactly it is coming from.
That will make your gaming experience much more immersive because you won’t feel like a part of the game – you will feel like an actual character in it. With that kind of immersion, your performance will improve as well because a virtual world is not just about looking at things from the first person perspective.
It is about interacting with it and feeling like you are actually there – that kind of immersion lets your imagination take over and start providing you with a lot more information about everything happening in your game.
There is one thing to keep in mind while using your surround sound headset – be careful not to set those virtual speakers too loud because it can really damage your hearing over time.
All in all, if you play FPS or RPG games and do not use a surround sound headset yet – then maybe it is the time to consider doing so (unless you have some serious health issues with your ears). You will surely see how much difference it makes when playing games like World of Warcraft, Call of Duty or any other favorite game.
If you play these games a lot then an additional set of speakers might be very useful to you – especially if they cost just $20-$30 more than your regular gaming headset.
They are also pretty easy to install and use (just plug-and-start). You can watch some walkthrough videos on YouTube to see how to set up surround sound in your games.
So, go out there and get yourself a decent gaming headset that has 5 or 7.1 virtual speaker support – you won’t regret spending some extra money for it!
Even if you are not a big fan of online shooting games , the speakers will still make your gaming experience more immersive and entertaining.
Should I get wireless headphones?
If you are a gamer on the move , then wireless headphones might be a good deal for you, especially if they have Bluetooth technology. The main advantage of using Bluetooth is that it works with most phones and all kinds of gaming platforms.
But there is one downside to using this technology – some people report that sound quality isn’t as good as it is with regular wired headphones. But if you are a fan of convenience , then wireless tech might be perfect for you – your ears will be free from any wires while the sound quality isn’t that bad after all.
There are also special gaming headsets that have leatherette earpads and adjustable headbands, which make them even more comfortable and suitable for long gaming sessions. You can also read some user reviews and find out which brand of wireless headphones is the best on the market right now.
Why do headsets that work for PS4, PS5 or PC not work for Xbox?
If you are a big fan of online multiplayer games , then you know that every platform has its own set of exclusive titles and features. The same thing is with gaming headsets – while the basic building blocks might be similar, there are different types of drivers designed for all kinds of games.
For example, some units come with 7.1 virtual surround sound on PC and Xbox One but not PS4. Some headsets have Bluetooth features for all three platforms while others just work with one or two of them. So, if you buy gaming headphones for your console, most likely they won’t be compatible with any other devices besides that one.
As for the microphone – almost every headset has an integrated microphone on Xbox One, but it is not always the case for PS4 and PC.
If you want a microphone that will work with all your devices (at least for now), then consider getting a universal one that doesn’t look like an actual part of the headset but has an independent connector to plug into all three gaming systems.
Other than that, if your PC or PS4 headset has a microphone that is permanently attached to it (not detachable), then you won’t be able to use it on the Xbox One as well – the connector will not fit.
But again, this problem can be solved by getting an universal microphone with independent plug-in system for all platforms.
What are the main features of a good gaming headset?
While it all depends on each person’s personal preferences, there are certain things that should be considered when buying new headphones. The main features to look for are the following:
Comfort – some people might find headsets made from plastic components pretty uncomfortable and heavy while others don’t pay any attention to these aspects at all. If you feel like your ears get tired after wearing the headset for a couple of hours, then consider getting something lighter and more flexible.
Of course, this depends on the type of headphones – some full-size models are heavier than others due to their size. But if they fit well on your head without any discomfort, then you should definitely keep them.
Microphone – if you play online multiplayer games , then consider getting a headset with an integrated microphone so that your teammates can hear you easily. But if there is no need for using the microphone during gameplay, then check out some models without it since they might be more comfortable to wear and use over a long period of time.
Sound quality – the best way to check whether a headset has good sound or not is to read some user reviews. If most people say that audio output is excellent and games are coming out as real, then you should consider getting that model.
Sound isolation – this feature basically means how much outside noise your headset can reduce. If you have a noisy household or are planning to use your headphones at night when people are sleeping, then get something with active noise reduction as it will block out most of those annoying sounds.
Sound leakage – this aspect shows how much sound leaks out from your headset in comparison to others. So, if you want to watch movies on your PC or play games without disturbing anyone, then get a model with low sound leakage in order to prevent your gaming sessions from turning into family gatherings.
So, what are the best gaming headsets that you can buy online? Thanks to the fact that there is such an abundance of models available for purchase right now, it becomes pretty difficult choosing one specific product. But we did it for you and chose the best gaming headsets of this year.
How can I improve the sound of my existing headphones?
It’s a question many of us ask ourselves at some point. And the answer often involves splashing out for new cans, but there are cheaper ways to make your existing headphones better. This guide will show you how…
How can I improve the sound of my existing headphones? It’s a question many of us ask ourselves at some point. And the answer often involves splashing out for new cans, but there are cheaper ways to make your existing headphones better. This guide will show you how…
It’s a question many of us ask ourselves at some point. And the answer often involves splashing out for new cans, but there are cheaper ways to make your existing headphones better. This guide will show you how to upgrade your headphones for just a few pounds.
Step 1: Checking for problems with your existing headphones.
Before we get started, it’s worth checking that the sound quality from your headphones isn’t actually as good as you think it is. This test will check if there are any limitations in terms of frequency response (the range of notes that your headphones can produce), maximum volume (dB/mW) or sound pressure level (SPL).
Step 2: Upgrading the driver.
If you were able to play the previous test tones and hear nothing wrong, then it’s time to upgrade to a better driver. The principle here is simple – a quick swap of the speaker unit.
Note: Only attempt this guide if you’re confident in your abilities to repair small electronic components. Don’t create more problems than you already have by fiddling with stuff that should stay working – there are lots of unexpected risks involved with DIY electronics work.
Step 3: Replacing the driver.
If you’ve decided that the best course of action is to replace your headphone’s speaker unit, follow these steps:
- Prepare a small space in front of your PC by clearing a desk or tabletop surface. Take out some sticky tape and lay it out so it surrounds an area large enough for your PC or laptop. We’ll be needing this area to rest the speaker unit while we work.
- Disassemble your headphone, take out all of its parts and place them safely onto the sticky tape (keep reading if you’re unsure on how to do that).
- Lay out some thick paper over a table or flat surface so you have an easy to clean area ready to receive the speaker unit.
- Get your new driver, remove it from its box and take out its packaging carefully. Remove any plastic protectors and/or foam spacers inside the speaker unit’s box (if it has any).
- Find a small Phillips head screwdriver that fits into the holes in the headband and remove the screws. Place them in a safe place.
- Remove any plastic protector on your new driver.
- Align your old and new drivers – they should fit together perfectly, if you have to force anything then something has gone wrong so stop right there! You’ll probably need an assistant for this step.
- Take your new driver out and slide the speaker unit back into place.
- Rest it on top of the sticky tape for a minute or so (the tape should hold it in place while you finish this step). Pick up the old driver and plug it back into your headphones’ jack.
- Play some test tones through your headphones.
If you’re lucky, the sound coming out of your headphones will be much better now – if not then you might have to do some further investigation into what has gone wrong and why it didn’t work for you. If so, we suggest checking out this guide on how to repair headphones from iFixit.
There’s more advice on headphones in our Guide to Buying Headphones
For answers to your burning tech questions, head over to our Ask Leo! Q&A feature where you can get involved by posting your own questions in the comments section or sending them over privately (we’ll send you a spoiler alert if we’ve covered it before, though).
Want more help with your PC or tech gear? Why not become a Tech Advisor to help other people who come to this site and want advice themselves? You earn points too which you can redeem for Best Buy rewards. If you’re interested in taking part, all you need to do is fill out this form.
Disclaimer: Please take care when attempting this guide as mistakes can lead to damaging your headphones or even your PC. Please only attempt this if you are confident in removing small parts from a device and soldering them back on after, so don’t force anything where it doesn’t fit! Also use at your own risk – some of the links we include to products and services from our affiliate partners (including Amazon) earn us a small commission when you buy something, but they don’t cost you any extra. We’re telling you this so you know what we’re all about. Don’t sue us because your headphones exploded – have fun instead!